Compiled by Daniel L. Wakefield
· Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. (See Proverbs 21:17)
· Proverbs 23:29-35 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? 30They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. 31Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. 32At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. 33Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things. 34Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. 35They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.
· Isaiah 5:11 Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!
· Isaiah 28:7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.
· Daniel 1:8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.
· Hosea 4:11 Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.
· Micah 2:11 If a man walking in the spirit and falsehood do lie, saying, I will prophesy unto thee of wine and of strong drink; he shall even be the prophet of this people.
· Matthew 24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, (See Isaiah 22:13-14)
· Ephesians 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
· Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
(What about John 2:7-10 and I Timothy 5:23)
2561 chemer Hebrew to ferment, pure red wine
2562 chamar Hebrew wine
3196 yayin Hebrew to effervesce, banqueting wine
3342 yeqev Hebrew a wine vat
4469 mamcak Hebrew mixed wine
5435 cobe Hebrew drink, drunken, wine
6025 enab Hebrew a ripe grape, wine
6071 aciyc Hebrew fresh grape juice
7941 shekar Hebrew an intoxicant, intensely alcoholic liquor
8492 tiyrosh Hebrew fresh grape juice, (rarely) fermented wine
1098 gleukos Greek sweet wine, fresh juice, more saccharine,
3631 oinos Greek fermented wine
3632 oinophlugia Greek an overflow of wine
3943 paroinos Greek staying near or given to wine