THE BIBLE SAYS…
· Matthew 12:5-8 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless? 6But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple. 7But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless. 8For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day. (See Mark 2:27-28)
· Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. 16:9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
· Luke 13:14-16 And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day. 15The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering? 16And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?
· John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
· Acts 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
· Acts 5:42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.
· Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
· 1 Corinthians 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
· Colossians 2:14-17 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. (See Acts 15:1-29)
· Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
1. Jesus, the Son of man is Lord of the Sabbath.
2. The Sabbath was made for man. Man was not made for the Sabbath.
3. Every day is holy unto the Lord.
4. Those who argue for Sabbath worship in Jesus day and at present do not keep all of the demands for the Sabbath
5. Those who argue for Sabbath worship often deny the salvation of anyone who does not observe the Sabbath—See Acts 10:15
6. No flesh is justified by the works of the law!
Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified
in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of
yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast.
7. The Pharisees kept accusing Jesus and His disciples of breaking the Sabbath. Each time Jesus contended for his disciples and rebuked the Pharisees harshly. Which point of view do you want to contend for—Jesus’ or the Pharisees?
8. Sunday Worship is to celebrate Jesus’ resurrection from the dead. Jesus was raised early on the first day of the week.
9. The New Testament pattern of worship was daily—from house to house.
The council at